Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age; and Sarah had passed the age of childbearing. Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After I have grown old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?” And the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Shall I surely bear a child, since I am old?”
Memory Verse: Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son. Genesis 18:14
One of the pressing things in life is time! Often we hear sayings like “Time waits for no one”, “Waste of time is waste of life” and so many other valid quotes, all of which gives an impression that unless certain milestones are achieved at certain times then it’s almost impossible to do them later. This puts pressure on a lot of individuals and sometimes pushes people to do extreme things, all in the name of trying to catch up with time.
Abraham and Sarah fell a victim of these hit as though we read from the bible that though they heard the promise from God, Sarah still pushed for Abraham to sleep with her maid.
So, Sarai said to Abram, “See now, the Lord has restrained me from bearing children. Please, go into my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her.” And Abram heeded the voice of Sarai. Then Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar her maid, the Egyptian, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan. Genesis 16:2-3
This, in Sarah’s eyes was her way to fulfilling the word of God in her own time because she had concluded that God’s timing was simply not working for her. This single act was the beginning of her problems. Until Abraham & Sarah took that step, they had a peaceful home, and they were a unit but due to this, their home was torn in different directions and became the centre of drama with various incidents arising between Sarah and Hagar. “Then Sarai said to Abram, My wrong be upon you! I gave my maid into your embrace; and when she saw that she had conceived, I became despised in her eyes. The Lord judge between you and me.” Genesis 16:5.
Just like Abraham and Sarah, many of us try to find short cuts to fulfilling God’s promises. We hijack His plan and begin to implement them as if it were our own idea in the first place. When God gives His word, we ought to let it be done following His instructions and whiles that may mean longer waiting time, our waiting on the Lord always means we peacefully enjoy the end result.
Plans hijacked and implemented almost always leads to more problems as seen in the life of Abraham & Sarah, Saul, Samson and the rest alike.
God does not use your age or timeline, the criteria is faithfulness till the end.
- Father I am grateful for your unlimited blessings upon me and my household in this new month of March
- Thank you for your mercies which endures forever
- I declare my gratitude towards you Lord for all you have done, are doing and will still do for me
- Thank you for blessing me and all around me which pertains to me
- Thank you for I will not run short of your blessings and you will let my doors forever remain open to receive from the throne of Heaven
- Forgive all my ingratitude Lord, let me from today be absolutely appreciative and bless others from what you have blessed me with
- Forgive me all my sins O Lord and let your mercy prevail over judgement
- Thank you Lord for answers to prayers, in Jesus name I pray, Amen.