“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
Memory Verse: The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. John 6:63
Communication is the rock of every relationship and that includes our relationship with God. The more time we spend communicating with Him, the more we understand His Word. Though God’s ways are untraceable, He will still speak to us about His intentions as he did with Abraham, Moses, David and many more of His children. He can do the same with you.
Communication can be straightforward and at times complicated. This is because engaging in a conversation requires the parties involved to understand each other’s language. Where this is not the case, there will be misunderstanding. To buttress this fact, Gen 11:1 enlightens us saying “Now the whole world had one language and a common speech” and for this reason the people according to verse 4 of the same chapter said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens.”
Interestingly it would have been mission accomplished because not only were they united, they also clearly communicated their intentions showing oneness in understanding. Reading further in verses 6 and 7, The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”
Our primary mode of communication with God is prayer and this involves two major things:
- Listening:This requires us to be still while we study, meditate on His word. God is known to speak through His word so you may be missing out on what the Lord has to say if you don’t dwell on his word (The Bible).
- Speaking:We are to speak to God through prayers. Our prayers to God can either be vocal, in our minds, or written. Romans 8:26says “And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words.”
God loves us completely and wants to hear from us anytime, every-time and everywhere. We are to talk to Him about every little details of our life, even those that we may see as trivial. Even our Lord Jesus Christ communicated regularly with God from the very start of His mission on earth. Mark 1:35.
I remember when I was to embark on a weight loss journey, I spoke to God about it and every time I said to myself “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” It sounded ridiculous for starters but it eventually grew on me that with God, no topic is ridiculous or forbidden. It was simply one of the most interesting conversations I’ve had with God knowing that I wouldn’t be judged.
It is fine to open up to God about your struggles because He knows your frame and remembers you are dust, Psalm 103:14.
God promised you in John 15:7 saying “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” We just have to communicate with Him.
- Father I thank you for a wonderful time in your presence
- Thank you for hearing me when I speak and pray
- Father help me from today to pray without ceasing, I receive the grace to communicate constantly with you.
- Forgive me of all my shortcomings O Lord and let your mercy prevail over judgement
- Thank you Lord for answers to prayers, in Jesus name I pray, Amen.