“knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.“
Memory verse: “All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, And its flower falls away, 1Peter 1:24.
Security is so important to us and we sometimes go the extra mile to feel and get secured. The older we become, the higher our vulnerability and the more secure we want to feel simply because as a young child, we most likely have not acquired much and may not be responsible for anyone but ourselves. Soon as we begin to advance in age, usually after university or completed training, we go into the job market and start to invest and or maybe build a family. With all of these attachments comes the need for security. We save, invest, insure and yes the bible confimes in Proverbs 13:22a “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children” but what’s the bible really talking about here?
The Cambridge dictionary defines security as protection of a person, building, organization or country against threat such as crime or attacks hence while we do all do keep things secured but can we really do all that protection ourselves? Psalms 127:1b sheds more light “Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.”
Yet even with this understanding, we are constantly trying to do our best like the man who had it all and intended to build more storage to store his overflow. The more we have, the more we desire to have and this cycle continues yet the bible terms it all as “Vanity”.
No matter how much wealth, fame, stocks, properties and assets accumulated or how much security we put in place, everything we own and have is temporary because life itself is temporary. The bible terms everything we focus so much on as corruptible things. The average human will argue that gold appreciates and is of so much value but where it really matters, our gold and everything we see as valuable is incapable of saving our lives, gaining us entrance to the presence of God or His kingdom or giving us eternal life after death, so it’s again of no real value.
The blood of Jesus however is the only valuable thing that gains us entrance into God’s presence and through it we have Salvation which gives us permanent/eternal life. The time spent in the presence of God and doing the will of God is the only time well spent and therefore the only inheritance a man can give his children or security that can be put in place is leading them to Christ and helping them remain in Christ.
Everything else is temporary but salvation is permanent. Our salvation is both present and in the future therefore it is non-perishable. Jesus tells us in John 6:40 “And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”
I urge you to consider how you spend your time on earth, what would you rather be chasing, the temporary or permanent?
- Father I thank you for another wonderful week just concluding
- Thank you for the grace not to ask amidst and to abide in you
- Thank you for your lovingkindness and for the gift of eternal life
- Help me LORD to build my treasures in heaven, focus on the permanent building a relationship through your blood.
- Help me to lay a good legacy for generations rising behind me, help me to live for you
- Give me direction oh Lord and help me to live a purpose driven life till eternity
- Help me Lord to listen when you instruct and to grant me the wisdom to implement correctly
- I renounce and denounce laziness and I receive the anointing to pray without ceasing
- I am grateful for your protection, provision and for all that you do for me.
- I am thine O Lord, let me continually be in your camp, not to please the world but to please you Lord.
- I surrender all to you, I withhold nothing, I give myself away and I rededicate my all to you
- Help me to walk with you daily, live my life for you and be at the centre of it all
- Forgive me Lord of all my iniquities, bless me abundantly and make me a blessing unto others, in Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen.