For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.” Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness.
Memory Verse: Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established Proverbs 24:3.
Have you ever been in conversations with people and walked away feeling very empty? It’s almost as if they knew everything and you knew nothing and often with such conversations comes reflections because we often feel we are worse off or far behind but is that really the case or just what we tell ourselves?
An expert in a field has knowledge about their area of expertise so when we have such conversations, it’s important not to confuse knowledge for wisdom. Are they wise or knowledgeable? The information they have shared with you that gave them an edge is the fact acquired form observation, studies, research and the rest alike but wisdom is the state of actually being wise.
Being wise comes from being knowledgeable and having the understanding to apply what is known when its needed. This is not a combination that can easily be achieved because it’s impossible to predict God’s next move. We cannot really use such calculations with the things of God and neither with the journey of our lives because we may have the knowledge but not have the right understating or how to rightly apply the understanding. In light of this, we end up applying the supposed knowledge wrongly and get it wrong all together.
The bible says in James 1:5 that “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him”. Everybody needs wisdom to build and retain, we use knowledge to get a job but wisdom keeps the job. We use knowledge to earn money but wisdom to spend it. No matter what phase we are in life, Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore, get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding Proverbs 4:7.
The value of wisdom exceeds any other thing that can be acquired in life because even when we acquire all, we will eventually lose all due to lack of wisdom just like the prodigal son did in Luke 15:11-32. The solution to being wise in all season is living in Christ alone. With His presence in your life, you have access to the wisdom required in all phases of life because His spirit will constantly teach, remind and guide continually. He knows the end for beginning.
Are you struggling with anything in life; just anything at all? Seek wisdom from God today!
- Father I thank you for your wonderful day full of blessings and joy
- I am thankful for your kindness, love and faithfulness despite my imperfections
- I desire wisdom Father, crown me with it and grant me understanding in all areas of life
- Help me Lord to mind what I say out and to maintain my advantage over the devil.
- Help me to get closer to you Lord, to know your mind and to receive direction and instructions from you
- Help me Lord not to grieve the Holy Spirit but to remain in sync and abiding always.
- Help me Lord to focus on you solely and not be carnally minded
- Help me to be compassionate towards others, to show benevolence and to meet other’s needs
- I receive the power of a giver, guide me Lord and lead me to reach out to those in need
- Help me to walk with you daily, live my life for you and be at the centre of it all
- Forgive me Lord of all my iniquities, bless me abundantly and make me a blessing unto others, in Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen.