Then some Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him; and they asked Him, saying: 19 “Teacher, Moses wrote to us that if a man’s brother dies, and leaves his wife behind, and leaves no children, his brother should take his wife and raise up offspring for his brother. 20 Now there were seven brothers. The first took a wife; and dying, he left no offspring. 21 And the second took her, and he died; nor did he leave any offspring. And the third likewise. 22 So the seven had her and left no offspring. Last of all the woman died also. 23 Therefore, in the resurrection, when they rise, whose wife will she be? For all seven had her as wife.” 24 Jesus answered and said to them, “Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God? 25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
Memory Verse: Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12.
Teamwork is key to so many achievements and in fact at an interview, most organisation will ask a question or two about how well you work within a team before they employ you. This they do to ensure you are able to work with a team of individuals and achieve set goals, objectives and deliver results. Even with that requirement, when you’re being reviewed for performance, your individual performance is what matters the most. This is because though a team may generally be performing brilliantly, this doesn’t mean every person in that team pulling their weight and a productive asset to the company. So therefore you can be in a performing team and be an underperformer.
The Sadducees were important people in their time, wealthy chief priests and teachers of the law. They believed in the law of Moses and out rightly crucified everything or anything that had to do with the teachings of Jesus Christ because they could not comprehend his teachings. When they questioned Him, they did to test His knowledge because they had no understanding that He is all- knowing. They were however silenced by the divine wisdom he exhibited as Christ spoke on the importance of salvation.
For us, the Sadducees gave us an opportunity to hear exclusively from Jesus’s mouth on salvation and resurrection. The word of Christ clarifies the need for individual salvation and resurrection. The number one person that must be saved is you! No one can be saved for you, you cannot be saved by extension or by association as salvation is really personal. We are therefore responsible for Accepting Jesus, knowing His word and remaining in faith.
Many times we hear people making all sort of excuses about why they are not in line with the word of God and they often think their commitment to the things of God is of benefit to their pastors, parent or even a favour to people but in reality the bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
Our parent’s salvation cannot save us neither can our spouses. You can be born into a Christian family or be married to a Christian, attend Church events and be called a Christ like yet not be saved. Each one of us is responsible for our own individual salvation as we will not be resurrected as a group but individually and likewise be judged individually on the resurrection.
We are encouraged to stay away from assumptions and source the truth from the word of God. We must consciously begin to work on our individual salvation according to the scriptures admonishes in Philippians 2:12.
- Father I thank you for everything you do for me, saving me and giving me life everlasting
- Thank You for being so faithful and for your loving kindness
- I desire wisdom Father, crown me with it and grant me understanding in all areas of life
- Help me to study my salvation daily with fear and trembling and to love you unconditionally
- Help me Lord to mind what I say out and to maintain my advantage over the devil.
- Help me to get closer to you Lord, to know your mind and to receive direction and instructions from you
- Help me Lord not to grieve the Holy Spirit but to remain in sync and abiding always.
- Help me Lord to focus on you solely and not be carnally minded
- Help me to be compassionate towards others, to show benevolence and to meet other’s needs
- I receive the power of a giver, guide me Lord and lead me to reach out to those in need
- Help me to walk with you daily, live my life for you and be at the centre of it all
- Forgive me Lord of all my iniquities, bless me abundantly and make me a blessing unto others, in Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen.